LatinaMedia.Co uplifts Latina and femme Latinx perspectives in media through publishing original pieces of criticism and amplifying the on-going work of Latina and gender non-conforming Latinx critics. We’re always looking for more voices to add to our community so check out our pitch guide below if you want to sound off on your favorite piece of media or cultural moment, we want to hear from you. And we pay (thanks Critical Minded!): $150 for each 600+ word piece!
WHAT TO WRITE ABOUT
We cover television, films, books, podcasts, and culture. At LatinaMedia.Co, we do not simply review shows/films/books – we’re not just interested if it’s good or not, we want to know what’s important about it. What does your subject reveal about our society and Latinas and femme Latinxs place within it? That’s what we want to know! Need some more guidance? Here’s a few questions successful pieces have answered in the past:
- When was the first time you saw yourself represented in media? What was that experience like?
- What does your favorite show or current obsession reveal about Latinas and femme Latinxs today? Why?
- Have you noticed a trend in media or culture that you’d like to explore? Tell us what it is and why it’s important for Latinas and femme Latinxs.
SENDING THE PITCH
We suggest reading at least three pieces on LatinaMedia.Co to get a sense of what we publish before you start. Once you’ve done that and landed on an idea, email cristina at latinamedia punto co or nicola at latinamedia punto co with your idea. We want to know not just what thing (TV, movie, book, podcast, cultural moment) you want to cover, but what you want to say about it! Some other specs to keep in mind:
- Length: We suggest between 600-1,200 words.
- Tone: We use a conversational tone, so show us you’re comfortable with that style by writing like you’re talking to a friend and letting your personality shine.
- Experience-ish: It’s great if you have articles you’ve published elsewhere to show off, but it’s not necessary. Just introduce yourself and why this story is important to you.
FYI, NO AI
At LatinaMedia.Co, we’re literally founded with the mission to uplift Latina and femme Latinx perspectives. That means real people’s voices, not what ChatGPT or another AI system thinks is your point of view. So please, do not send us ANY AI-generated content from your pitch to your story. If you’re nervous about reaching out to us – don’t be! We respond to every pitch we get (even if it can take us a minute) and we’re happy to guide new folks through the process. Thanks for understanding!